Oh what a surprise! A big thank you to Jules at Brewing Sparkle for nominating me and my blog, totally unexpected as we only met (so to speak) today 🙂 What a great idea the Liebster Award is to encourage those of us with small blogs, being very new you wonder if anyone is actually reading your ramblings and every like and comment is fantastic and exciting. This will be a great way to connect with other small blogs and to really feel a part of the blogging community.
Liebster Award Rules are:
- Thank the person that has nominated you!
- Nominate 11 small blogs (less than 200 followers).
- Answer the 11 questions set out by the blogger who nominated you.
- Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer.
Well picking 11 nominees was hard but here are some of my favourite small blogs.
My nominees are:
11. Gluestick Mum
My answers to the questions set by Brewing Sparkle are:
1. What do you love most about blogging? I’m still very new to this but I have always wanted to write and I love the freedom that blogging gives me to write about what I want, when I want, no pressure and it’s great to have a project to work on.
2. Favourite place you have travelled to? I don’t have just one favourite place! Last year I was lucky to visit Crete – I love all things Greek, Switzerland – Geneva, Montreux, Tasch and Zermatt all beautiful in summer and a surprise trip with my daughters for my 50th birthday and also Venice – I love all things Italian too, this was another 50th birthday present this time from and with my hubby. Brussels in Belgium will always have a special place in my heart as it is the first place ‘abroad’ my hubby and I visited together and where he proposed to me, ditto the Riviera Maya in Mexico where we spent our honeymoon. Other favourite places include Paris, Rome, New York, Havana and Varadero in Cuba, Marco Island and Seaside in Florida, Kefalonia and in the UK – Bath and Wales. Finally, I am lucky to live on the doorstep of one of the greatest cities I’ve been to, London.
3. Your favourite season of the year? Late Spring and early Summer when it’s warming up and everything is growing madly.
4. What is your first go to app in the morning? The alarm clock! And then Instagram.
5. Any books you would recommend? Too many to mention them all! Helen Fielding’s Bridget Jones’ Diary triology all made me laugh out loud and Alice Sebold’s Lovely Bones made me cry, while Jeffery Deaver’s The Bone Collecter made me fall in love with crime/detective/thriller fiction. Having just completed a BA Hons in Humanities with Art History and Classical Studies with the Open University I am now the proud owner of a lot (you have no idea how many books 6 years of studying requires!!!) of non-fiction books and my favourite of them all is one from the National Gallery (my favourite place in London) called Giotto to Durer: Early Renaissance Painting in the National Gallery.
6. How do you make sure you stay on top of your blogging schedule? Schedule! What schedule? I write when I have time which generally depends on how busy I am with work. Sometimes that means I go days or weeks between writing anything but then I might start, finish and publish a post in just a few hours and even publish a couple of posts within hours of each other! As soon as I’ve published a post I get a draft for another one going even if it’s just a title I feel better to have something started. I have a notebook that I use to jot down my ideas for posts so even though I can’t always get online to write, at least I have stuff written in my notebook!
7. Have you always been creative? That depends what you mean by creative! I’m not artistic and can’t draw but I learnt to cook and bake as a teenager and I can knit. I also made some of my own clothes in my teens by hand, no pattern with an old hand-operated Singer sewing machine. I also started baking and decorating cakes while at school which is something I still do today. I want to learn how to crochet, when I have the time!
8. The best advice you have been given. I really can’t remember, is that bad? I’ve either never been given any (highly unlikey!) or my menopausal brain is refusing to recollect (extremely likely!) or I’m a stubborn old cow who has never listened to any advice that came my way because I always think I’m right (very likely!), it could be any or all of the above!
9. Your perfect way to relax. ten plus years ago I’d have said a massage, then I trained as a Beauty Therapist and on the rare occasions I have a massage two things get in the way of my relaxing completely. First I’m usually having a massage because I’ve got the point where I really really need one and as I will have asked the therapist to go as hard and deep as she/he can I’ll be in too much pain to relax! Second I will also be concentrating on exactly what movements they are doing and if they’re doing anything different to what I do, basically I’m watching (or in the case of a massage, feeling) for new moves/tips! These days I read, bake/cook etc to relax. I love having a bath and as we only have a shower at home it’s not something I get to do very often so when I do I make the most of it, bubbles, a book and a glass of wine are usually involved! Luckily I have no trouble relaxing when I’m on holiday (I know people who say they’re half-way through their hols before they start to relax!) and my hubby always says he knows the exact moment that I relax when we go away 🙂 We always find our room, dump our bags and without unpacking, except to maybe change into more weather appropriate clothing, we go for a walk/explore to get our bearings, hubby says within minutes of beginning this walk he feels me relax – apparently I will take a really big breath which I let out in an equally big sigh and he can physically feel me relax!
10. What is on your road trip playlist? CD’s I have in my car at the moment are by Gregory Porter, Michael Buble, Caro Emerald, Seasick Steve, Johnny Cash, Imelda May, Olly Murs, The Rat Pack, Jules Holland, Jamie Cullum, Madonna and Ray Charles…I have quite a wide-ranging taste when it comes to music there’s not much I don’t like!
11. Five things you love about YOU? This is very hard as I’m my own biggest critic and quite self-deprecating! 1. I’m a perfectionist, which I love and hate in equal measure! 2. I love that my kids turned out ok and have all grown into well-rounded, hard-working and lovely adults, so I guess I must have done something right! 3. I’m a good cook and I love that I love food! 4. I’m open-minded and try to see good in everyone/thing. 5. And finally I try to learn from my mistakes and use them become a better person.
And my questions for you are:
1. Where do you come in birth order of your siblings and has this any bearing on who you are today?
2. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
3. Sweet or savoury?
4. Are you an indoors or outdoors person?
5. Tea or coffee?
6. What is your favourite food that you could not live without?
7. Favourite cocktail?
8. If you could spend 24 hours anywhere where would it be and who would you share it with?
9. Dogs or cats?
10. What is your favourite film, actor and actress?
11. What are your favourite books?
I really hope you will get involved and in so doing enjoy finding, reading and interacting with new blogs as much as I have